University of Rhode Island students all know Hope and Butterfield dining halls have their good and bad days. Sometimes eating Butterfield’s chicken nuggets or Hope’s burger and fries for the fifth day in a row gets to be too boring.
On those days when even pizza from Rhody Market or the sandwiches at Ram’s Den are getting old, and you don’t have the money or the transportation to eat out at a place that serves more than calzones and mediocre salads, you have to get creative.
Here are some food hacks to cure your dining hall woes:
- Pizza bagels: toast a plain bagel, add marinara sauce from the pasta bar, sprinkle mozzarella from the salad bar, microwave for 30 seconds to one minute..
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Sandwich: bread or wrap of your choice, add chicken, ham, provolone cheese (veggies optional)
- Greek Wrap: wrap of your choice, add hummus, tabbouleh, chicken or turkey, lettuce, tomato, onions, peppers and feta.
- Cheesy baked potato at Hope: take a potato from homestyle, cut in half, add butter and sprinkled cheese (or ask for cheese at the deli), melt in the microwave
- Chicken Caesar Salad: get chicken from the deli, slice and place romaine or iceberg lettuce of your choice on top with ceasar dressing, parmesan and croutons. Chicken can also be added to any salad for a boost.
- Taco salad at Butterfield: lettuce and veggies on a plate, add taco meat, salsa, guacamole and chips
- Breakfast burrito: get a wrap from the deli, add scrambled eggs or a cheese omelet, salsa, guacamole and veggies
- Ice cream sundae: make a sundae in one of the coffee cups, because the little bowls are just not big enough, add whipped cream, strawberries, sprinkles and brownies
- Root beer float at Butterfield: It’s simple, get a glass of root beer and add vanilla ice cream and whipped cream
- Ice cream sandwich: ice cream squished between two cookies
- Fried ice cream (sort of): vanilla ice cream with fruity pebbles, frosted flakes or any other cereal you want
- Chunky Monkey Waffle: Add chopped banana, peanut butter and chocolate sauce from the ice cream station to a hot waffle
- Healthy Apple Pie: Slice an apple, sprinkle cinnamon from the coffee and cocoa station, microwave to your squishy likeness. Do NOT forget whipped cream
Extra delicious meals to look out for:
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Mozzarella Sticks
- Chicken Cutlet at Hope with cheesy garlic mashed potatoes
- French Onion Soup
- Specialty Pizza at Butterfield
- Specialty Quesadillas at Hope
- Chicken/Eggplant/Veal Parmesan
When worst comes to worst, eat cereal. You can never go wrong with cereal.