Coming up with the perfect Valentine’s Day date is tough for anyone but especially tricky for those working with a strict budget. Lucky for you, there are plenty of events happening in Rhody that will make your heart (and wallet) sing.
This year is great for being in love, especially since Valentine’s Day conveniently lands on the Saturday of a three-day weekend. Take advantage of having the entire day (or weekend) to spend with your sweetheart and head to historic Newport. Newport’s annual Winter Festival, starting the Feb. 13 and ending Feb. 22, hosts some of the best events available for your special day. Here’s a selection of the cheaper events going on in Newport on Valentine’s Day.
- Make a special wish with your partner on the Newport Visitor Center Wish Wall. 9 a.m.-4 p.m., free event.
- Visit the undersea creatures at the Save The Bay Exploration Center and Aquarium and enjoy an interactive marine science learning experience. 10 a.m.-4 p.m., $6.
- Enjoy a romantic narrated train ride through scenic Newport and Narragansett. Hold hands in the vintage rail car and enjoy the scenery. 10:30 a.m.- 2:30 p.m., $10.
- Want an event to please the special woman in your life? Attend a crystal earring-making workshop at the Crystal Door. Â She’ll think of you every time she wears them. 11 a.m.-4 p.m., $10.
- Make your own snowflake soap at Newport Sea Foam Trading Company. No one wants a stinky valentine. 11 a.m.-5 p.m., $10.
- Nothing says romance like gorgeous stained glass. You and your valentine can make a custom stained glass heart and receive a special Valentine’s gift bag. 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., $20.
- Board the Patriot and set sail on a one hour narrated seal safari of Narragansett Bay, Newport Harbor and Rose Island Light House. That chilly ocean spray will have you cuddling in no time. 12:30 p.m., $18
Other events include mansion tours, three course meals, wine tastings and more. For the full list, visit www.newportwinterfestival.co